Why the Wheelchair Ramp on Your Vehicle is Too Narrow
Not all wheelchair ramps are created equal.
Between choosing a rear-entry or side-entry ramp, and then choosing manual or automatic operation, there are lots of options available.
But there’s another option to consider that you may not know about: ramp width.
The width of your conversion’s ramp is dependent on which vehicle you have and what kind of conversion it is, although some vehicles have multiple ramp widths available.
What Makes Wider Ramps Better?
Generally speaking, “bigger is better” is a good rule of thumb to follow when it comes to ramp width.
Wider ramps make loading and unloading wheelchairs much easier, whether wheelchair users are entering the vehicle independently or with the help of a caretaker. Narrower ramps require more precision when loading and unloading, and loading wider chairs can prove to be a challenge.
Wide ramps provide extra peace of mind for caretakers and wheelchair users by taking the challenge out of accessing the vehicle. This can be especially helpful for taxi or commercial drivers who load and unload wheelchair passengers several times a day.
Wide ramps are also helpful for rainy or snowy climates. Rain, snow and ice can cause challenges accessing the vehicle, and the increased surface area of a wide ramp can help resolve these issues. Faster loading means you can spend less time in the cold or the rain and more time in your warm, dry vehicle!
Which Handicap Vans Have the Widest Ramps?
When looking for a wide wheelchair ramp, rear-entry models are going to be your best bet. Because of the way wheelchair conversions have to be engineered, side-entry ramps are almost always significantly narrower than rear-entry models.
Wheelchair Accessible SUVs are generally quite wide, usually in the 30” to 40” range.
- Buick Enclave: 35″ rear ramp
- Chevrolet Traverse: 35″ rear ramp
- Honda HR-V: 34″ rear ramp
- Hyundai Palisade: 33″ rear ramp
- Kia Sorento: 30.5″ (2020 and earlier models) or 28.5″ (2021 and later models)
- Kia Soul: 32″ rear ramp
- Kia Telluride: 33″ rear ramp
If you’d like the widest possible ramp, you should take a look at getting a rear-entry van. Freedom Motors USA offers the Toyota Sienna Hybrid with a Superwide 40” ramp, the Toyota Sienna (from model years 2019 and older) with a Superwide 48” ramp and the Dodge Grand Caravan with a Superwide 40” ramp.
- Chrysler Pacifica: 38″ rear ramp
- Chrysler Voyager: 38″ rear ramp
- Dodge Caravan: 34″ or Superwide 40″
- Toyota Sienna: 30″, 34″, or Superwide 48″ (2020 models and earlier)
- Toyota Sienna Hybrid: Superwide 40″ (2021 models and later)
Find the Right Wheelchair Ramp For You
With all these choices available, finding the right vehicle and ramp conversion for your needs can be difficult. That’s why Freedom Motors has our Mobility Specialists on call and ready to help. Contact us today and we’ll help you find the right vehicle for your needs.
About Freedom Motors USA Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
Why buy your wheelchair accessible vehicle from Freedom Motors USA? It’s simple. Freedom Motors is family-owned and has been creating accessible vehicle conversions since 1987, making us one of the first companies in the industry. We have experience getting our customers what they need.
- Don’t know where to start? Our team of Mobility Specialists will work with you to help find the vehicle that best suits your needs.
- Shop from Home – Freedom Motors will come to you anywhere in the country to provide a demonstration of any of our wheelchair conversions.
- Exclusive Stock – Shop our expansive list of Wheelchair Accessible SUVs that you won’t find anywhere else in the mobility industry, including the Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, Kia Sorento, Kia Soul, Kia Telluride and Honda HR-V.
- Hybrid Vehicles – Check out the industry’s first Toyota Sienna Hybrid Wheelchair Van wheelchair-accessible conversion, with a no-charge hybrid drivetrain making it the most efficient wheelchair van on the market.
- Premium Features – Freedom Motors conversions offer top-of-the-line features, like the automatic rear-entry ramp or our full and half-cut options that allow for more passenger seating options.
- Superwide Ramps – Freedom Motors offers the widest ramps in the industry that you won’t find anywhere else, including the Superwide 40” Dodge Grand Caravan and the Superwide 48” Toyota Sienna.
- Dedicated to Keeping You Moving – Contact us today and we’ll work with you to find the right vehicle for you.