Is New York City Wheelchair Accessible?
Is New York City Wheelchair-Accessible?
If you’ve ever dreamt of escaping the Los Angeles, CA area and heading to New York City, it’s time to book that ticket. Getting around NYC in a wheelchair is not only possible, but it’s a ton of fun. New York has made huge strides in accessibility for people with disabilities, opening up a whole new world of opportunity for travelers from Orlando, FL to Denver! So whether you’re curious about wheelchair rental in NYC or wheelchair-friendly activities to plan, let’s take a look at what you need to know before you start packing.
Getting Around NYC in a Wheelchair
There are so many different ways of getting around NYC in a wheelchair that you might feel overwhelmed by your options! Here are the most popular ways to get around the city:
- Sidewalks: Sidewalks are large and crossroads are accommodating, so there’s no need to worry when traveling the sidewalks of NYC in a wheelchair.
- Buses: Over 4,000 MTA busses include lifts, as well as reserved seating for wheelchair customers. Additionally, you may call 24 hours in advance to utilize the Access-a-Ride bus exclusively for wheelchair customers.
- Subway: Not all subway systems are equipped for wheelchair use, so be sure to check the MTA website. While you’re there, fill out the paperwork for the Reduced-Fare AutoGate Metrocard to save a little extra travel money on the subway, bus, and Access-a-Ride services.
- Amtrak: If you’re traveling a long distance, all Amtrak trains and stations are wheelchair-accessible.
- Wheelchair Taxis in NYC: There are nearly 2,000 yellow cabs and wheelchair taxis in NYC, as well as 800 green cabs in the Upper Manhattan area.
And, if you’re looking for simple or motorized wheelchair rentals in NYC, there are many private rental services and even pharmacies to rent everything that you need for a great day on the town!
Wheelchair-Accessible Activities in NYC
You’ve got your hotel booked, your travel plans set, but now what should you do during your time in the Big Apple? Check out some of the top wheelchair-accessible activities in NYC:
- The Empire State Building: This sky-high landmark is fully ADA-compliant, so you can take in that gorgeous NYC skyline while perched over 100 stories in the air!
- Tourist Cruises: Take a trip to see Lady Liberty herself or Ellis Island and experience American history firsthand. Both destinations also offer a limited number of free wheelchair rentals.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art: The MET offers a jaw-dropping collection of over 2 million works of art, and wheelchairs are available at the coat check area for your convenience.
- Broadway Shows: Broadway venues are wheelchair-accessible, so be sure to grab a ticket to one of the hottest shows around!
Find Out More With Freedom Motors USA
While we may still be deep in the days of social distancing to help prevent the spread of Covid-19, why not start planning ahead to your next big New York adventure? Getting around NYC in a wheelchair is easier than ever before, and it’s even easier with the right equipment by your side. Freedom Motors USA offers a wide range of wheelchair vans for sale to give you the freedom of mobility you crave, helping you navigate everywhere from Dallas, TX to Boston, MA with ease! Contact us with any questions.