Everything You Need to Know About Power Transfer Seats
For wheelchair users, a wheelchair accessible vehicle is a huge step toward independence and freedom. Not only does it let you go where you need to, it allows you to leave whenever you’d like on your own terms.
For those who live without a caregiver or simply want a more independent lifestyle, there are accommodations available to help wheelchair users get behind the wheel of their vehicle. A power transfer seat is just one of the accommodations available for wheelchair users who would like to drive.
What is a power transfer seat?
A power transfer seat puts the OEM first row captain’s chair on a track that allows the chair to be moved forward and backward via a remote. This allows the chair to be moved back into the second row, allowing wheelchair users to transfer themselves into the seat. Once they’re in place, they simply use the remote to move the chair back behind the steering wheel.
Power transfer seats aren’t just for wheelchair users who would like to drive. They can also be fitted on the front passenger seat, which can allow wheelchair passengers to ride in the first row next to a caregiver, spouse, family member, or friend.
Which handicap vehicles can be fitted with a power transfer seat?
Power transfer seats aren’t perfect for every adapted vehicle. They use a simple mechanism that is reliable and easy to install, but it does require there to be sufficient space for the track in the second row of seating.
If a power transfer seat is a feature you’re interested in, make sure to mention it to one of our Mobility Specialists. Power transfer seats are currently available on the following Freedom Motors USA rear entry wheelchair conversions:
- Chrysler Pacifica
- Chrysler Voyager
- Kia Soul
- Chevrolet Traverse
- Dodge Grand Caravan
- Toyota Sienna (pre-2021 model year)
What other accommodations are available?
There are other options to accommodate wheelchair users who drive. Hand controls can be used to operate gas and brake pedals by hand. Some vehicles can be driven from a wheelchair.
A rear-entry automatic ramp can be used alongside any of these accommodations, which allows wheelchair users to enter their vehicle without the assistance of a caregiver. This means that with a power transfer seat, wheelchair users can operate their vehicle completely independently.
Which options are right for my needs?
Everyone has different needs depending on their budget, level of ability, and living situation. It can be hard to know what’s best for you, which is why Freedom Motors’ Mobility Specialists are on standby ready to answer your questions.
Contact us today to be put in touch with one of our specialists, and they’ll help you find which vehicles work best for you.
About Freedom Motors USA Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
Why buy your wheelchair accessible vehicle from Freedom Motors USA? It’s simple. Freedom Motors is family-owned and has been creating accessible vehicle conversions since 1987, making us one of the first companies in the industry. We have experience getting our customers what they need.
- Don’t know where to start? Our team of Mobility Specialists will work with you to help find the vehicle that best suits your needs.
- Shop from Home – Freedom Motors will come to you anywhere in the country to provide a demonstration of any of our wheelchair conversions.
- Exclusive Stock – Shop our expansive list of Wheelchair Accessible SUVs that you won’t find anywhere else in the mobility industry, including the Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, Kia Sorento, Kia Soul, Kia Telluride and Honda HR-V.
- Hybrid Vehicles – Check out the industry’s first Toyota Sienna Hybrid Wheelchair Van wheelchair-accessible conversion, with a no-charge hybrid drivetrain making it the most efficient wheelchair van on the market.
- Premium Features – Freedom Motors conversions offer top-of-the-line features, like the automatic rear-entry ramp or our full and half-cut options that allow for more passenger seating options.
- Superwide Ramps – Freedom Motors offers the widest ramps in the industry that you won’t find anywhere else, including the Superwide 40” Dodge Grand Caravan and the Superwide 48” Toyota Sienna.
- Dedicated to Keeping You Moving – Contact us today and we’ll work with you to find the right vehicle for you.
0 comment(s) so far on Everything You Need to Know About Power Transfer Seats