Benefits of Owning a Rear-Entry Handicap Vehicle Conversion
Choosing a handicap vehicle for sale to purchase is a huge decision, and it’s complicated by the many options available on the market. The most important choice facing buyers is whether they would like a rear-entry or side-entry conversion.
This choice directly affects how the vehicle can be used and what features are available. Understandably, it can be a daunting choice. While side-entry vehicles offer a more “traditional” accessible vehicle experience, they aren’t the right choice for everyone.
Most buyers today would likely be better served by the more modern rear-entry conversion. The newer design offers a more convenient and user-friendly design than those of the past, offering wheelchair users more independence than ever before. Let’s take a look at some of the reasons rear-entry wheelchair vehicle conversions are the new industry standard.
Rear-Entry Wheelchair Conversions Allow You to #ParkAnywhere
The rear-entry conversion solves one of the side-entry’s biggest issues: where can you park if there are no empty handicap parking spaces?
Because of the room required to deploy a side-entry ramp, they must be parked somewhere with space clear on either side of the vehicle. This quickly becomes an issue when disability parking spaces are full, which can make parking far away from your destination the only option. Even then, other drivers may unknowingly block your vehicle’s ramp by parking too close to your vehicle.
Rear-entry conversions solve this by placing the ramp — you guessed it — in the rear of the vehicle. This allows wheelchair passengers to enter through the rear-hatch of the vehicle, meaning there is only room needed behind the vehicle to access it. This makes it so any standard parking space will do — allowing you to #ParkAnywhere!
Rear-Entry Handicap Vans Are Highly Customizable
Rear-entry ramps require less intensive modifications be made to the vehicle, allowing for the most OEM experience possible. This provides the OEM vehicle’s reliability and keeps the entire front-row totally intact, unlike side-entry vehicles which remove the center console.
This also allows for rear-entry vehicles to be customized to exactly fit your needs. Extra seating options, hand controls, and half-cut options are just some of the features available on rear-entry vehicles.
Be Part of the Conversation
The most overlooked feature of the rear-entry conversion is also one of it’s best. Side-entry conversions awkwardly put the wheelchair passenger in the middle of the vehicle, with other passengers being in front of and behind them. Because the rear-entry conversion places wheelchair passengers in the second row between two ambulatory passengers, they get to be part of the conversation that other passengers are having. Rear-entry vehicles can also be equipped with power transfer seats, allowing wheelchair passengers to sit behind the wheel or in the front passenger seat.
Rear Entry Wheelchair Vehicles from Freedom Motors USA
Since 1987, Freedom Motors USA has been developing durable, innovative rear entry vehicles. From the first Toyota Sienna Hybrid Wheelchair Van in 2021, to the first wheelchair SUV in 2006, to the first ever lowered floor minivan in 1987, our accessible vans, wheelchair accessible SUVs, cars, trucks and hybrid vehicles have broken new ground in the mobility vehicle industry.
About Freedom Motors USA Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
Why buy your wheelchair accessible vehicle from Freedom Motors USA? It’s simple. Freedom Motors is family-owned and has been creating accessible vehicle conversions since 1987, making us one of the first companies in the industry. We have experience getting our customers what they need.
- Don’t know where to start? Our team of Mobility Specialists will work with you to help find the vehicle that best suits your needs.
- Shop from Home – Freedom Motors will come to you anywhere in the country to provide a demonstration of any of our wheelchair conversions.
- Exclusive Stock – Shop our expansive list of Wheelchair Accessible SUVs that you won’t find anywhere else in the mobility industry, including the Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, Kia Sorento, Kia Soul, Kia Telluride and Honda HR-V.
- Hybrid Vehicles – Check out the industry’s first Toyota Sienna Hybrid Wheelchair Van wheelchair-accessible conversion, with a no-charge hybrid drivetrain making it the most efficient wheelchair van on the market.
- Premium Features – Freedom Motors conversions offer top-of-the-line features, like the automatic rear-entry ramp or our full and half-cut options that allow for more passenger seating options.
- Superwide Ramps – Freedom Motors offers the widest ramps in the industry that you won’t find anywhere else, including the Superwide 40” Dodge Grand Caravan and the Superwide 48” Toyota Sienna.
- Dedicated to Keeping You Moving – Contact us today and we’ll work with you to find the right vehicle for you.